Monday, October 1, 2007

Can I Use A Tinted Motorcycle Helmet At Night?

Audio / DIY / Electronics - Volume


One problem that I think sooner or later all the DIY meet is that, seemingly trivial, to control the volume.
When you start a chain of connected devices of various types, each of these "wants" at a "certain" signal for which the benefits noise, impedance et c. are "optimal".
Usually problems are of three types:
a) the signal is too weak (in some part of the chain) and the signal to noise ratio degrades
b) the S / N ratio is good in analog, but since the signal is All Time Low is sampled with a low resolution digital
c) the signal is too strong (the worst situation ever, because the electronics saturates very distorting the sound).
must say that once the situation was much worse, because of the variety of different sources (phono. ..), so it was essential to have a pre-amp can "normalize" the signal (voltage, impedance, spectrum ...) without degrading too.
now many sources are digital, and above all the outputs are more standardized, as well as having very little problems almost always impedances (and in the case of digital signals, irrelevant).
levels of CD, for example, in addition to having a dynamic range of intrinsically pre-defined, almost all are standard on the highest peak. Of course there are exceptions: for example CD Muse strangely always peaks of about ten dB above the standard ...

However, some come to build multiple potentiometers (motorized and calibration procedures "micrometer" ..) in order to vary the final volume of intervening (In a different way) on all the various gains in the chain.
In my case the problems are two: the drive balanced / unbalanced (ART Cleanbox) above the final, and DSP (Behringer DEQ2496).
In the first case, I discovered that for the same output, varying in one direction or the gain compared to an average value, the noise increases significantly. This unfortunately is a typical behavior of the op (it's noticeable even on the end), but I did not think he could "feel".
In the second case, hearing music at low volume, my feeling is that the DSP works badly (a duller sound) I have verified this several times easier thanks to a control that allows easy to vary the input signal (and equally out) on the DEQ, with the same volume.
So I have a problem of dynamics, especially because I like to hear rock music at high volume (or maybe a little dull ...), while my wife feels more classical music at low volume.

0 comments:

Post a Comment